Pages

10/30/12

The Frustrated Writer's Attempt To Write A Novel

Yeah. Seriously. No kidding.

I, Rhia Song, is writing a novel.

To be honest, I'd attempted to write several novels during my free time but because of procrastination (Should I put the blame on me? Or in my busy schedule? But it doesn't matter, since procrastination is procrastination), it will always be left unfinished. 

But this novel is very important to me. It has been on my head for so long (Since my highschool days, if I can still remember it right) that the desire to write it is insatiable. The original title of this story is Evergreen. 

At first, I couldn't think of a justifiable enough reason of why should I title the novel Evergreen. But then it hit me.

I needed to be sure about it so I turn on to my BFF Wikipedia for clarifications. According to Wikipedia, Evergreen is a plant that has leaves on all seasons. And metaphorically speaking, it can refer to something that is continuously renewing or is self-renewing. 

So yeah, I'm a happy girl after that. Evergreen is a perfect title to my novel because it somehow connects to the plot. But for some reasons, I decided to change it to Back To You instead. I know it's a shallow title, but I like it that way. I don't want the novel to sound so 'poetic' because it's not well-written. :(

But, a girl can always dream, right? 

When I was done with the prologue and the first chapter, I decided to join Booksie. It's an online writing community, BTW wherein thousands of writers-in-the-making (And I swear I even encountered established writers, too like Edward Aubry!) from all over the globe showcase their talents in literature. It's free to join, so I realize that I have nothing to lose. 

I wrote the novel under the pseudonym of Trina Kerr. I even joined Wattpad but I find it too complex for my liking. 

Here's my Booksie account:


But I'm not logging into it anymore. And it's because of my clumsiness. I forgot my username and password :/

Anyways, I decided to do a major rewrite of my novel and redo the plot. :) And this time, I'm going to use my real name instead of a pseudonym. 

Here's the Prologue of the novel, just in case you're interested. It's rewritten:

I’m never really the type of person who often feels mixed emotions. I guess you can call it weird, but that’s who I really am. When I’m happy, I only smile or laugh. When I’m sad, I only cry. When I’m mad, then my brows will only furrow or when I’m really, really, really mad, then I will shout. But today, however, is different.

As I walk the aisle with my arms wrapped around my father’s, I can’t help but smile and cry at the same time as the sound of The Wedding March begins to fill the entire church. I take a glimpse of the man that I am going to marry – the man that I love the most – and I instantly find myself unable to breathe for a minute, finding it very hard to believe that such a wonderful moment can ever happen to me.

Me, of all people.

Two years ago, I stopped believing in love. It destroyed every part of me so bad that I didn’t know how am I going to put the missing pieces of my life back together, but then again, it was the very same word that rebuilt me.

And it’s all because of Tyler.

And it’s also because of Tyler why the reckless, rebellious and irresponsible Gianna Harrison is gone.

No more late-night drinking parties. No more DUI arrests. No more short-lived, unserious relationships with boys. And most importantly, no more grudges constricting her heart.

From this day forward, it will be replaced with a woman that is going to be named Giselle Anna Willis.

A woman. A wife. A daughter. And hopefully, a mother.

And as I clutch the necklace as tight as I can inside my hands, I know that finally, after very long years of separation, Edward and Margaret are back together again. 


So ummm... sorry for the crappy Prologue but I believe that there's still room for improvement, right? :( 

So please do drop a comment and lemme know what you guys think! Criticisms are highly appreciated. :)

1 comment:

  1. wow... my frustration in writing pales in comparison to yours. :) it's always good to pursue your passion and I say that you must push through with it.

    well, i'm not really big on the romance genre, but i think the prologue seems interesting. i advice you to inject some pretty unexpected twists to the story so as not to make it too cliched. and since romance is a pretty mainstream theme, i suggest that you establish something unique in it so as to make the piece memorable. and take it one step at a time -- nothing really disappoints than half-baked stories.

    i don't really have a technical background in writing, so I'm not really that reliable. XD but i hope this would be helpful.

    and also, thanks for all the insightful comments you're leaving in my blog. :*

    xoxo,
    Riza of http://rzzzp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete