Pages

10/28/12

A Walk To Remember



Synopsis: 

Every April, when the wind blows from the sea and mingles with the scent of lilacs, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High. It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. Certainly the last person in town he thought he’d fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town’s Baptist minister. A quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks, Jamie seemed content living in a world apart from the other teens. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, and helped out at the local orphanage. No boy had ever asked her out. Landon would never have dreamed of it. Then a twist of fate made Jamie his partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter’s life would never be the same. Being with Jamie would show him the depths of the human heart and lead him to a decision so stunning it would send him irrevocably on the road to manhood…


Review: 

As a self-confessed hopeless romantic, I have always been a fan of Nicholas Sparks' works. Although I have to admit that I still haven't read all of his novels, A Walk to Remember is certainly worthy of my Top 10 Most Favourite Books of all time, though I'm still not sure as of this writing where to place it. 

The story opens with a 57-year-old Landon Carter recalling the events of his past. It was in the year of 1958, and the then-17 year old Landon's life was changed by a kind-hearted girl named Jamie Sullivan. Jamie was the daughter of the town's Baptist minister Hegbert Sullivan, whom Landon and his family shares a not-so-fluid relationship with. 

*WARNING*: If you haven't read the novel yet, then I suggest you should stop reading this review immediately because this will have some spoilers that could seriously ruin the anticipation. 

I like how Nicholas Sparks devoted time to carefully develop his two principal characters and the supporting characters as well. Landon and Jamie are both relatable, in some ways. While I find Landon's character unlikeable at first, I soon grew to love him as he became a  responsible, fully grown man that will do everything for the love of his life. Well, it's a coming-of-age novel, after all. 

Jamie, on the other hand, is a likeable character for me. She has this way of seeing right through you and maybe that's the reason why Landon fell in-love with her in the first place. Alright, she wasn't your typical, drop-dead gorgeous heroine whom a hot-blooded male will fall in love with at first sight but it's her kindness and her devotion to help other people that makes her a truly special girl. 

The principal characters are worlds apart, but somehow, certain circumstances has brought them together. 

I also like the fact that Sparks ditched the typical, cliche 'love at first sight' scenario, which are, more often than not, present to some of the romance novels that I have read. Landon fell in love with Jamie, alright but it was a slow, gradual process. Love takes time, as they say. And that, for me, is a realistic way to portray true love. So, thumbs up for that!

According to Wikipedia, Sparks' main inspiration for this novel was his sister Danielle Sparks Lewis, who died from cancer in 2000. That explains why the pain was truly there when Landon found out that Jamie has leukemia. That scene was so heart-wrenching that it made me stop reading the novel for a while to give myself some time to cry. 

And when Landon proposed marriage to Jamie even though he knew that she was dying? That really made my heart skipped a beat! And it takes a special skill from the author for the readers to feel something like that. 

All in all, the novel made me smile, frown, fall in love, cry and sympathize for the characters. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole night that I was reading it and I couldn't seem to put the book down. 

Rating: 

4.5/5 

12 comments:

  1. Hi rhia! thanks for putting me in your blog roll. it really means a lot. :))

    i'm also a frustrated writer, but I think your first review is awesome. i don't really have that much technical background when it comes to writing so i tend to write reviews based on how the book affected me and how it made me feel, and I guess I can relate to you with that. :)

    here is a random post i wrote where i fangirl/ranted about a certain passage in the book. check it out if you're interested.
    http://rzzzp.blogspot.com/2012/01/sparks-flew-and-i-cried.html

    could you also do me the favor of following me at google friend connect? hehe. that way, updates can become handy.

    thank you again. i'll drop by as much as i can. hope we'll be friends.

    xoxo,
    Riza of Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Riza! :D I already followed you in Google+ though I'm not exactly sure if I did the right thing, cause you know, it's just my first time of using it. :)

      Anyways, sure! Gusto ko yan! :) We can be friends! :D

      Me gonna check out your post na. :)

      Delete
    2. thank you dear.. looking forward to more fun posts.. :))

      Delete
  2. hi,sweets
    thanks for the sweet comment!
    it made my day
    ^_^

    im also a reader.
    i haven't read this one yet but i did watched the movie.i cried to death lalo na nung sinabi na nya na may sakit sya.
    TT_TT

    im more on romance talaga but someone recommended George RR Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series & i am loving it!
    ^_^

    i'll be waiting for more book reviews from you,hun.
    happy blogging!
    ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thia! I've heard a lot of rave reviews about this book, so might as well gonna grab a copy of it in my fave bookstore :)

      Regards naman dun sa A Walk To Remember, baliktad naman tayo. Hindi ko pa napapanuod yung movie pero baka one of these days, panuorin ko siya. :) But you should read the novel sis, maganda talaga siya at promise ko sa'yo, maiiyak ka 'din talaga. :)

      Delete
    2. sige,basahin ko yan.
      this was shown nung highschool pa ko & ang unang nanuod nito yung bestfriend kong lalake.naiyak nga sya kaya sabi ko sure ako e maiiyak din ako.at syempre naiyak din nga ako.

      iyakin din kasi ko.
      minsan nanuod ako nung 1 liter of tears.
      ay grabe!feeling ko aatekehin ako sa puso sa sobrang pagiyak ko kasi hagulgol talaga ginawa ko
      TT_TT

      but that's what makes these stories/novels so memorable,diba?
      kasi the stry is so poignant & touching kaya you really tend it remember it for a long time.

      Delete
    3. Hehehe. :) Oo nga, kung anu yung mga stories na napaiyak ka talaga ng bonggang bongga, yun talaga yung tatatak sa isip mo, diba? :)

      Happy blogging, Thia!

      Take care always.

      Much love,

      Rhia

      Delete
    4. oh my thia! i'm an ASOIAF addict too! please do check out my review... i hope we'll become ASOIF buddies together. here are my reviews for the books i've finished so far:
      A Game of Thrones
      A Clash of Kings
      A Storm of Swords

      I'm in the process of reading A Feast for Crows. updates on the way... hope we can be friends. I'm following you na. :))

      xoxo,
      Riza of Between the Lines

      Delete
  3. Hi rhia, visiting...
    I haven' read this book but i love nicholas sparks' esp his message in a bottle and nights in rodanthe. Keep blogging and more power!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Thanks for visiting! :) Hindi ko pa nababasa yung Message in a Bottle and Nights in Rodanthe but I have the books, so maybe I'm gonna read them tonight. :)

      Delete
    2. i also loved message in a bottle. :) @Rhia you should try it too. and if you finsihed it, please do visit my review of the book. :))

      Delete
    3. Hi Riza!

      Of course naman! Naka-set na on my mind as 'TO READ' yung Msg. in a bottle. :) Kaka-excite na. As of now kasi, meron pa akong isang book na tinatapos. :) Pero siguro bukas mababasa ko na siya. :)

      Delete